The central theme is Deng’s leadership in this era of “reform and opening up” and China’s transformation – describe, define, evaluate, and critique.
The following questions may help guide you writing the paper:
How does Vogel describe and define Deng’s leadership?
How does Vogel evaluate and critique Deng’s leadership, and his legacy in history?
What do you think is Deng’s leadership in China’s endeavor to reform?
Your critique of Vogel’s presentation of Deng as the architect of China’s reform and opening up. Also comment on his research sources and research methodology.
Your description and critique of Vogel’s story of China’s transformation. What kind of a story he tells? Is the story complete, fair, and convincing? Explain your assessment.
Before writing the essay:
Review the book by Ezra Vogel: Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China
Review the videos of interviews with Ezra Vogel in the ChinaX series.
Additional sources are welcome
800 words minimum, and try not to exceed 1200 words. Please use in-text citations (e.g. (Mitter, 28)). You can use footnotes or endnotes if you choose to. If you use outside sources, including online ones, please give the full citation. The paper needs to be submitted in WORD or as a pdf file.
1. The theme is clearly stated, insightful and original. The description of the theme/s must reflect a comprehensive understanding of Vogel’s argument in his book.
2. Elaboration is well developed, clearly supporting and explaining the theme/s with supportive evidence from the course materials. Please use quotes and references judiciously: they should not be too long, taking up too much space; and they should be used to illustrate and support your points. Please do not forget to include in-text citation (e.g. (Walder, 34). Course materials have to be clearly reflected in your paper.
3. Summative assessment of the Deng Era, which should be evidence-based, balanced, and critical.
4. Effective and correct writing, with careful editing and revisions to avoid grammatical, mechanical, or other errors of this type.
5. No plagiarism is tolerated. If you use an outside source, give full citation to the source. The paper is checked automatically by Turnitin, a tool that helps instructor to catch plagiarism, and to show lack of originality.