Please read through the instruction file provided
Choose a video form advertisement, and make sure to include the link of the ad in the document.
Please choose two articles from the provided files as your references for this analysis.
No need to use outside sources
Please focus on analyzing the ad instead of describing the ad
This assignment requires students to draw upon ideas from 2 readings covered in Weeks 2-4, to analyse the relationship between the ideological messages and the aesthetic strategies in any advertisement of your choice. Specifically, it asks you to focus on how gender is being constructed in the advertisement/s you have chosen for analysis, paying particular attention to the various ways in which meaning is created therein.
Some questions that you should attend to include:
- Who is the intended audience/addressee? (demographic, gender, sexuality, race, class etc)
- What assumptions about gender are mobilised in the advertisement/campaign?
- How are femininity and/or masculinity being represented? How/does the advertisement challenge or reinforce dominant understandings of gender?
- How do the different aspects of the texts – such as its written, visual, aural elements – work to construct a particular narrative about the product?
- What does it promise to provide to its (potential) consumers?
- How might the kind of reading the advertisement seeks to encourage be challenged?
Type of advertisement: The advertisement or campaign can be from various forms of media – newspaper, magazine, billboard, internet, radio or television – from the 21st century. You should not analyse any that we have dealt with in depth in class. You can choose advertisements from any context/country; if in a language other than English, please provide translations. You should include a link to the advertisement in your reference list and/or screen shots of any images which you discuss in detail.
Secondary material: For this assessment, students are not required to draw upon critical material from outside the course but instead should use the required (and, if relevant, recommended) readings to help develop their analysis.
Referencing: In terms of referencing style, there is no preferred style as long as you are consistent (i.e. If you choose Harvard, make sure all references appear in that style) and all material has an appropriate citation.
Format: Your assignment be double-spaced and include a reference list, noting the course readings you have drawn upon as well as the details of the advertisement/s, including hyperlinks where relevant.