CJUS 5500: Seminar in Criminal Justice Administration
Directions: Answer the question below. You may (and should) draw from any and all material assigned in this course thus far, including lectures, book chapters, and articles to support your answer. Your test answer will be graded on the following criteria:
Grade Based On: Effectively addressed all parts of the question (25 points); 2) Proper organization of answer (10 points); 3) Accurate and sufficient explanation/application of appropriate perspectives to question issue(s) (30 points) and, 4) Spelling and grammar (5 points).
DUE DATE: April 26, 2021 at 5 pm. (if you finish earlier, feel free to send).
SUBMIT TO: email@example.com
PAGE LIMIT: Strict maximum of 8 pages double-spaced not counting title page and reference page (anything over 8 pages will not be graded).
Administration of Criminal Justice Agencies: An Overview
You are in the last week of your first course as an adjunct professor of criminal justice at a local university teaching a course titled “Administration and Management of Criminal Justice Agencies.” All students in the course are seniors in their last semester and will graduate upon the successful completion of your course. Moreover, all of the students have secured employment with criminal justice agencies and will start their new jobs upon graduation next week.
To help assist your students in the real world as they embark upon their criminal justice careers, you have decided to give them a graduation present. In addition to not having a final, you have decided the most useful gift you could give them—seeing as they will enter the criminal justice field with jobs next week—is a short but detailed “cheat sheet” covering the “critical things they need to know about the administration and management of criminal justice organizations” as they enter a criminal justice agency as an employee.
- Develop a detailed outline/bulleted list, with at least 8 developed points (no more than 8 pages, but please use complete sentences), which adequately but succinctly covers the critical aspects students will need to know about the administration and management of criminal justice organizations.
- Your answer must cover, in your own unique way, some of the major administration topics examined this semester, including material leading up to the mid-term exam (e.g., structure of CJ organizations, CJ environment, motivation, leadership) and after the mid-term (e.g., occupational socialization, decision making).
- Piece of Advice #1: Don’t fall into the trap of just regurgitating book material/lecture material.
- Piece of Advice #2: Don’t be afraid to take a broader theme and use it. For example, motivation might be an aspect you choose to highlight for your students. Perhaps you are interested in employee burnout in criminal justice agencies as related to motivation. Using burnout as an example, you might provide a bullet point and discussion which provides some statistics on CJ burnout. Maybe cite an academic article or two on what researchers have found out about CJ burnout to further educate them. And perhaps offer some perspective, as backed up by evidence, on how to avoid burnout. Again, don’t fall into the trap of just repeating what the book or another source notes. Be creative and craft some useful advice to your students.
- Piece of Advice #3: Feel free to be very creative with this question and craft a readable, understandable, but still comprehensive response for your students. You may write this outline as “advice” to your students and use a more conversational tone if you like, but do not forget to provide substance as you give this advice. One way to back up your points/advice is to get some sources to back you up! Again, even in outline/bullet form, write in complete sentences.
- Best of luck on this final! I cannot wait to read your sage advice!